Monday, September 1, 2008

He is faithful

Today's Readings: Psalms 107, 111-114

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"'Lord, help!' they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress.'" Psalm 107:6/13/19/28
"Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them." Psalm 107: 8/15/21/31
Both of these phrases were repeated four times throughout Psalm 107. They are repeated with each example of times where God's people rebelled against him. The circumstances followed the same schedule: rebellion, discipline, appeal, praise. The chapter then ended with the following concluding verse...

"Those who are wise will take all this to heart; they will see in our history the faithful love of the Lord." Psalm 107:43
What an amazing lesson is taught in this Psalm. So many times the chosen people rebelled, only to go through the same thing over and over again. In the end, what really mattered was that they learned that the Lord is faithful.

"They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. They share freely and give generously to those in need." Psalm 112:7-9
Oh, how I need this reminder on a daily basis. Stop worrying! I had to include verse 9 just because I wanted to make sure you read it too...:)

"Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord" Psalm 114:7a
Just a reminder of his omnipotence and that he should be taken very seriously.

My response to God: Lord, forgive me for being so much like the children of Israel -- rebellious and stubborn. Please help me to learn quickly from your discipline so that I do not live my life repeating the same rebellious acts. Calm my anxious heart and give me the peace that passes all understanding. Praise God!

No comments: