Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Truth and encouragement

Today's Readings: Isaiah 30:1-33, 31:1-9, 32:1-20, 33:1-24

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"They tell the seers, "Stop seeing visions!" They tell the prophets, "Don't tell us what is right. Tell us nice things. Tell us lies. Forget all this gloom. Get off your narrow path. Stop telling us about your 'Holy One of Israel.'" Isaiah 30:10-11
Why would someone go to listen to a prophet if they don't want to hear the truth? Of course, the same could be said for many attendees of churches in today's time. There are those who are not necessarily going to church to worship and praise and hear the Word, but going out of guilt, obligation, or even just to network. Those are the people who don't want hear the truth and they are still on earth today, just as they were in Isaiah's day.

"The Lord of Heaven's Armies will hover over Jerusalem and protect it like a bird protecting its nest." Isaiah 31:5
"The Lord will be our Mighty One. He will be like a wide river of protection..." Isaiah 33:21
This is a quick one, but one I just had to include because I love the similes used throughout the scriptures to describes how the Lord protects us.

"Though you are such wicked rebels, my people, come and return to the Lord." Isaiah 31:6
How much grace will he give us? We continue to sin, and rebel against God, and he continues to ask us to return to Him. How cool is that?!!!

"Justice will rule in the wilderness and righteousness in the fertile field. And this righteousness will bring peace. Yes, it will bring quietness and confidence forever. My people will live in safety, quietly at home. They will be at rest. Even if the forest should be destroyed and the city torn down, the Lord will greatly bless his people. Wherever they plant seed, bountiful crops will spring up. Their cattle and donkey will graze freely." Isaiah 32:16-20
"Those who are honest and fair, who refuse to profit by fraud, who stay far away from bribes, who refuse to listen to those who plot murder, who shut their eyes to all enticement to do wrong -- these are the ones who will dwell on high." Isaiah 33:15-16a
What more incentive do I need? What else could possibly encourage me to live for God. He gives peace, quiet, confidence, safety, rest, blessings and the joy of dwelling with Him.

My response to God: Lord, always keep my heart ready to worship you and my mind ready to hear the truth from your Word. Thank you for your protection through any danger or sadness that comes my way. Even though I know my life will be filled with both joys and hard times, I know that you will always be right beside me to give me the strength to make it through.

No comments: