Monday, September 22, 2008

Protector and defender

Today's Readings: 2 Kings 19:1-37, Isaiah 37:1-38, 2 Chronicles 32:9-23

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"Then King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz cried out in prayer to God in heaven.  And the Lord sent an angel who destroyed the Assyrian army with all its commanders and officers.  So Sennacherib was forced to return home in disgrace to his own land.  And when he entered the temple of his god, some of his own sons killed him there with a sword.  That is how the Lord rescued Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem from King Sennacherib of Assyria and from all the others who threatened them.  So there was peace throughout the land. From then on King Hezekiah became highly respected among all the surrounding nations, and many gifts for the Lord arrived at Jerusalem, with valuable presents for King Hezekiah, too."  2 Chronicles 32:20-23
"For my own honor and for the sake of my servant David, I will defend this city and protect it."  2 Kings 19:34
The Assyrians were so sure of themselves after their history of destroying other nations.  They came to Jerusalem, mocking God, insulting Hezekiah and taunting the people.  Hezekiah sent word to Isaiah, as he himself prayed to the Lord for deliverance from the Assyrians threats. Isaiah sent back the word he had received from the Lord of Judah's deliverance.  The people were afraid, as the Assyrians were a strong and successful warriors.  But, Hezekiah went straight to the Lord, to the temple, and even spread out the scrolls from Assyria before the Lord.  We can all learn from Hezekiah...no matter how overwhelmed we are with the attacks of this world, we must go directly God and lay down our burdens at the foot of the cross.  For He will defend and protect us, just as he did the people of Judah.

My response to God: Oh, Lord, my protector and shield, I come to you now with my burdens, though they seem small in comparison to those of Hezekiah.  Help me to know that my burdens are just as relevant to you.  Keep me from the worry and feelings of despair that come when I keep them all to myself and not give them over to you, at the foot of the cross.

No comments: