Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Holy hands

Today's Readings: Psalms 128-130, 132, 134-135

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"...Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table. That is the Lord's blessing for those who fear him." Psalm 128:3b-4
The Psalmist may have been referring to something else, but when I read this verse I immediately recognized the word 'vigorous' (definition: strong, energetic, and active in mind or body) as it aptly describes my very own young children. This chapter is talking about the joy that comes from the Lord and the wonderful 'side effects' of this joy. One of them is having children described as vigorous. So many times I do not see that as a joy, but as a strain. The Word is now telling me that is a blessing from the Lord. Kind of makes you think, hmmmmmm.

"Lift up holy hands in prayer, and praise the Lord." Psalm 134:1
I am pretty sure I have read this verse before, but I do not recall honing in on the word 'holy' before. In lifting my hands in prayer and praise, I have never thought about my hands, my instrument of praise, being holy. But, when they are doing that most holy act, they become holy.

"For the Lord will give justice to his people and have compassion on his servants." Psalm 135:14
Justice: The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.
Compassion: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.
I find it enlightening to differentiate the two very different ways that the Lord treats people of different lots in life. Although he treats 'his people' fairly with their due reward, his feelings towards those who serve just seems more intimate with his desire to relieve their suffering. I read this to mean that we are to be fair to everyone and take special measure to help those in need.

"And those who make idols are just like them, as are all who trust in them." Psalm 135:18
Oh, this is so true -- you become what you worship. If we worship the god of media (television, internet, iPod, etc), our time and emphasis go to whatever is being taught there -- that is what will fill our mind and soul. If we want to be like God, and fill our heart, mind, soul and spirit with Him, we must worship him and him alone.

My response to God: Lord, you have given me so much spiritual nutrition today and I thank you for the strength is gives me to get through this day. Please help me to remember your blessings with each vigorous act of my children so that I rejoice with them. Make clear to me those around me in need of compassion and justice and guide me in my response to them. Speak to me through your Word in such a way that I can face the temptations of the gods of today that work to pull me away from you. Finally, as I lift my hands in praise and worship, please allow them to be instruments of your holiness.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

So, I stole your idea. Check out EverydayLauren. :]