Thursday, September 11, 2008

Compassion and confidence

Today's Readings: Psalm 136, 146-150

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"He gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry." Psalm 146:7
"The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down." Psalm 146:8b
"He cares for the orphans and widows," Psalm 146:9b

Today I read a newspaper article about a foster child who was nearing her 18th birthday. She was excited about reaching that milestone, but more than anything, she wished that she could be adopted before she 'aged out' of the foster care system. Reading her story and these verses, though different in many ways, seem to pull together to remind me that we are to care for 'the least of these'. What am I doing now to do that?

"Don't put your confidence in powerful people;" Psalm 146:3a
"No, the Lord's delight is in those who fear him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love." Psalm 147:11

I had a discussion with someone tonight who seemed to be putting all their hope and confidence in worldly success. These verses remind me that the Lord delights when we put our confidence and hope in him.

My response to God: Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see what you want me to do lift up those who are weighed down. Give me the words to say and the deeds to do in order to help others to put all hope and confidence in you, and you alone.

No comments: