Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Answered prayers

Today's Readings: 2 Kings 20:1-19; Isaiah 38:1-22, 39:1-8, 2 Chronicles 32:24-31

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"When Hezekiah heard this, he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 'Remember, O Lord, how I have always been faithful to you and have served you single-mindedly, always doing what pleases you.' Then he broke down and wept bitterly." 2 Kings 20:2-3
"Then this message came to Isaiah from the Lord: 'Go back to Hezekiah and tell him, This is what the Lord, the God of your ancestor David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears." Isaiah 38:4-5a
"Meanwhile, Hezekiah had said to Isaiah, 'What sign will the Lord give to prove that he will heal me and that I will go to the Temple of the Lord three days from now?'" 2 Kings 20:8
When I first read this passage, the word bitterly that described Hezekiah's tears led me to think that his attitude was not a good one and that he was angry with the Lord. Perhaps that was not the meaning intended in the scripture. Whatever the case, God heard his prayer, saw his tears, and answered with healing. I had to chuckle and Hezekiah's response, though. Aren't we so much like Hezekiah? The Lord sent word that he would be healed, but Hezekiah did not believe and needed proof. Had not the Lord just rescued Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem from the Assyrians? But, he still asked for a sign of proof.

My response to God: Oh, God, do you chuckle at me like I chuckled at Hezekiah, or does it bring sadness to your heart when I doubt you after you have done so much in my life? Help me, Father, and strengthen my faith so that I am not surprised when you provide those answers to prayer.

No comments: