Friday, September 12, 2008

The desire of the Lord

Today's Readings: Isaiah 18:1-7, 19:1-25, 20: 1-6, 21:1-17, 22:1-25, 23:1-18

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"When the people cry to the Lord for help against those who oppress them, he will send them a savior who will rescue them." Isaiah 19:20b
Reading through Isaiah is oh so different from reading through the Psalms. The prophecies against Ethiopia, Babylon, Jerusalem and Tyre show us another side of God -- a side that requires our worship but still answers the prayers of his people by sending a savior.

"But you never ask for help from the One who did all this. You never considered the One who planned this long ago." Isaiah 22:11b
This chapter talks about God weeping for his people who are being destroyed, yet not even asking for his help. This paints such a loving, but sad picture in my mind as I can imagine this happening today. God desires that relationship with us where we can come to him with anything, any request. He wants to answer our prayers and to care for us. But, so many times we just continue on in our sinful life, hurting, and being destroyed while he watches and waits for us to come to him.

"The Lord of Heaven's Armies has done it to destroy your pride and bring low all earth's nobility." Isaiah 23:9
So many times it takes falling to our lowest to break us away from our human pride and open our hearts to put the Lord first and foremost in our lives.

"But in the end her profits will be given to the Lord. Her wealth will not be hoarded but will provide good food and fine clothing for the Lord's priests." Isaiah 23:18
This speaks of the city of Tyre and how the forgotten city will come back again, like a story of a harlot. Even though she continues in her sinful ways, the wealth that comes from that sin will eventually be used for God's good. Everything will eventually be used for God's good.

My response to God: Dear Father, Lord of all Heaven's Armies, forgive me of continuing to have sinful pride where I do not trust your judgement, but try to take care of everything myself. I do not want to be like the peoples of these cities prophesied about by your prophet, Isaiah. Help me to see my sins clearly and recognize where I need to make an about face and follow you, instead of trying to run ahead. Help me to be your servant and a servant to others.

No comments: