Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Work for peace

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 23:33-40, 24:1-10, 29:1-32, 30:1-24, 31:1-14

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"This is what the Lord of Heaven's Armies, the God of Israel, says to all the captives he has exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem: 'Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food they produce. Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away! And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile.  Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.'" Jeremiah 29:4-7

"But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:10b-11

"You will be my people, and I will be your God." Jeremiah 30:22

This was from the letter from Jerusalem to the elders, priests, and prophets, and all the people how had been exiled to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzar.  This was done following Jeremiah's vision from the Lord about the good and the bad figs.   The good figs represented those who had been exiled to Babylon.  This letter to the exiles was to encourage them and let them know that the Lord would be caring for them and how the Lord wanted them to live their lives while in exile.  I think this encouragement is applicable to us today: make the most of our lives where we are, work for peace and prosperity, and listen to the Lord and his guidance until he comes back for us.

My response to God:  I thank you, Heavenly Father, for your faithfulness to me -- just like you were faithful to those exiled to Babylon.  Please keep me in constant remembrance of my purpose here on earth and how you want me to live my life until your return.  Guide me to 'work for peace' where you have put me. 

No comments: