Monday, October 13, 2008

The path to peace

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 25:15-38, 36:1-32, 45:1-5, 46:1-28

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"Perhaps the people of Judah will repents when they hear again all the terrible things I have planned for them.  Then I will be able to forgive their sins and wrongdoings." Jeremiah 36:3

"Neither the king nor his attendants showed any signs of fear or repentance at what they heard." Jeremiah 36:24

"I will hand them over to those who want them killed -- to King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon and his army.  But afterward the land will recover from the ravages of war. I, the Lord, have spoken!" Jeremiah 46:26

"'But do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant; do not be dismayed, Israel. For I will bring you home again from distant lands, and your children will return from their exile.  Israel will return to a life of peace and quiet, and no one will terrorize them.  Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, for I am with you,' says the Lord. 'I will completely destroy the nations to which I have exiled you, but I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you, but with justice; I cannot let you go unpunished.'" Jeremiah 46:27-28

Even though these scriptures vividly show the anger of the Lord, they also show his compassion.  Over and over again, he follows his plans of destruction with his willingness to forgive.  Of course, the forgiveness comes with a cost that is hard to come by -- repentance.  The last paragraph shows how the Lord explains his justice as discipline.  He also specifically tells them how he will return them to a life of peace and quiet...but, they must repent.

My response to God:  Dear Lord, help me to see the peace and quiet in my life that can only come from you and from my obedience to you.  Guide me in my path of repentance.  Be the bright light that keeps me on that straight and narrow road that leads me to you.

No comments: