Friday, October 17, 2008

Compassionate God

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 12:1-17, 13:1-27, 14:1-22, 15:1-21

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"And if these nations truly learn the ways of my people, and if they learn to swear by my name, saying 'As surely as the Lord lives' (just as they taught my people to swear by the name of Baal), then they will be given a place among my people." Jeremiah 12:16

This was a message for Israel's neighbors assuring them of God's compassion.  If these nations are willing to turn to the one true God, they will become adopted members of the family of God.  Again, God shows that he loves us all and wants us all to be his children.

"I will take care of you, Jeremiah." Jeremiah 15:11a
"Lord, you know what's happening to me.  Please step in and help me." Jeremiah 15:15a
"If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me." Jeremiah 15:19a
"You must influence them; do not let them influence you!" Jeremiah 15:19b
"Yes, I will certainly keep you safe from these wicked men. I will rescue you from their cruel hands." Jeremiah 15:21

I love this conversation between Jeremiah and the Lord.  It starts out as a complaint to God because of the attacks being made on him by his enemies.  First God responds saying that he will care for Jeremiah, but Jeremiah does not seem to hear it because he comes right back with  his request for God to 'step in and help'.  God continues with more instructions for Jeremiah in how he is to deal with the people.  Finally, he makes his final statement again assuring Jeremiah that he will take care of him.

My response to God: God, thank you for giving us all the opportunity to choose you.  You are a loving, forgiving, and compassionate God.  Please, Lord, be patient with me when I am like Jeremiah and continue to not hear your answers to my prayers.

No comments: