Monday, October 20, 2008

No other gods

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 16:1-21, 17:1-27, 18:1-23, 25:1-19

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"When you tell the people all these things, they will ask, 'Why has the Lord decreed such terrible things against us? What have we done to deserve such treatment? What is our sin against the Lord our God?' Then you will give them the Lord's reply: 'It is because your ancestors were unfaithful to me. They worshiped other gods and served them. They abandoned me and did not obey my word. And you are even worse than your ancestors!"  Jeremiah 16:10-12a

The scripture today was hard to read.  It is so sad to hear how truly hurt God was by his people.  At one point, he said "my anger blazes like a fire that will burn forever".  That is harsh.  But, we have to realize that it had taken a long time to reach this point.  God had given them second chances and even more chances to repent and obey him.  But, they still refused.  I am torn in my feelings towards Jeremiah, too.  Part of me looks at him as such a blessed man since the Lord spoke to him and used him to prophesy.  The other part of me feels so sorry for him because of what he has to go through in telling the people what God has said.  How would I have handled this is I were in Jeremiah's shoes?

My response to God: Heavenly Father, speak to my heart and let me hear you like Jeremiah did.  Let me be your follower who listens and obeys.  Forgive me, Lord, for all the things I have made like other gods in my life.  Keep your holy spirit within me to guide me away from all of those things.

No comments: