Thursday, October 23, 2008

A new covenant

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 31:15-40, 49:34-39, 50:1-46, 51:1-14

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Is not Israel still my son, my darling child?" says the Lord. "I often have to punish him, but I still love him. That's why I long for him and surely will have mercy on him." Jeremiah 31:20

"'The day is coming,' says the Lord,'when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and brought them out of the land of Egypt. They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,' says the Lord. 'But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,' says the Lord. 'I will be their God, and they will be my people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, 'You should know the Lord.' For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will now me already.' says the Lord. 'And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.'" Jeremiah 31:31-34

What a glorious day it will be when everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know the Lord already.  The day of the new covenant is coming.  May we all be ready to be a part of it.

My response to God: Glorious God, I ask you to forgive my wickedness and never again remember my sins.  Prepare me for your return.  Make my heart yearn for you.

No comments: