Thursday, October 16, 2008

Truly knowing the Lord

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 8:4-22, 9:1-26, 10:1-25, 11:1-23

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"This is what the Lord says: 'Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches. But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth, and that I delight in these things.  I, the Lord, have spoken!'"  Jeremiah 9:23-24

This little nugget of hope is sandwiched neatly between the Lord's warnings, judgment and talk of destruction.  Here, again, the Lord gives the people one more chance to turn from their wicked ways and towards him and his unfailing love.  

"I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own.  We are not able to plan our own course.  So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle." Jeremiah 10:23-24

This is from Jeremiah's personal prayer to the Lord.  In his own way, he is the one who seems to 'get it'.  The one man who is probably the closest to God at the time is the only one who is honest about his humanity and unrighteousness.  He knows the wrath that God has, and he is specifically asking God to hold his wrath for those who are not acknowledging him.

"O Lord of Heaven's Armies, you make righteous judgements, and you examine the deepest thoughts and secrets.  Let me see your vengeance against them, for I have committed my cause to you." Jeremiah 11:20

Once again, Jeremiah is speaking to the Lord at this point.  This is his plea in response to the plots being made against him by his enemies who do not like the messages he is relaying.  He is giving it all over to God.

My response to God:  Lord, I want to be able to boast that I know you and that you love me and delight in me.  Help me, Lord, when I stumble and please be gentle with me in your discipline. 

No comments: