Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rejoice in all things

Today's Readings: Habakkuk 1:1-17, 2:1-20, 3:1-19

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guard post.  There I will wait to see what the Lord says and how he will answer my complaint." Habakkuk 2:1
I think this means that we should wait patiently, and specifically, looking for answers from the Lord when we ask him something.

"What sorrow awaits you who build big houses with money gained dishonestly!" Habakkuk 2:9
I guess with the mortgage issues of the current day and the government bail out, I am reading this from a little different perspective than I probably would have otherwise.  Not that I believe everyone who is affected gained the 'money' (i.e. mortgage) dishonestly, but it just makes me think about it a little differently.  
 
"But the Lord is in his holy Temple.  Let all the earth be silent before him." Habakkuk 2:20
I included this because it has been one of my favorite verses for awhile.  I remember when I first returned to church as an adult and joined the choir when we lived in Virginia.  Every Sunday morning, we opened the service with an a Capella version of this verse.  

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights." Habakkuk 3:19
This kind of ties in with what I brought up above regarding the economy and the mortgage situation.  There are so many people really worried about the economy, mainly because they have no control over the outcome.  I think this verse says it all.  In all things, whether your fields are barren, your flocks are dying, or you lose your home because of making a poor decision, you must rejoice in the Lord.  Rejoice in the Lord always!

My response to God: My God, my rock, my salvation...help me Lord to not worry about the things going on around me, but to worship and praise you in everything.  Give me patience to wait for your answers and be wise enough to understand that, even when they are not the answer I am looking for, your answer is always the right answer.

No comments: