Friday, October 24, 2008

A call for prayer

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 37:1-10, 51:15-58, 52:1-3a; 2 Kings 24:10-20a; 1 Chronicles 3:10-16; 2 Chronicles 36:10-14

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"But neither King Zedekiah not his attendants nor the people who were left in the land listened to what the Lord said through Jeremiah.  Nevertheless, King Zedekiah sent Jehucal son of Shelemiah, and Zephaniah the priest, son of Maaseiah, to ask Jeremiah, 'Please pray to the Lord our God for us.'"  Jeremiah 37:2-3

"For the Lord is a God who gives just punishment; he always repays in full." Jeremiah 51:56b

It is amazing to me how bold people can be.  Jeremiah has spent all of this time telling the people how they are brazenly disobeying the Lord, yet when they feel the need they come right out and ask him to pray to the same Lord on their behalf.  In this particular instance, the Lord responded by telling Jeremiah to tell the King of Judah (Zedekiah) that the Babylonians will be coming back to destroy the city.

My response to God: Lord, help me to not be like the people of Judah who only go to you when they need your protection.  Draw me to you through your Word and through your Holy Spirit.  Let me never stray away from your presence.  Remind me daily to show my love for you by loving those around me.

No comments: