Monday, October 27, 2008

Are you overwhelmed?

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 37:11-21, 38:1-28; Ezekiel 1:1-28, 2:1-10, 3:1-15

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"'But, I am afraid to surrender,' the king said, 'for the Babylonians may hand me over to the Judeans who have defected to them. And who knows what they will do to me!' Jeremiah replied, 'You won't be handed over to them if you choose to obey the Lord. Your life will be spared, and all will go well for you.'" Jeremiah 38:19-20
If you choose to obey the Lord.  Yes, I know that is not a complete sentence, but it is a completely perfect thought.  It is a bold and direct.  In King Zedekiah's case, his life would be spared 'if he chose to obey the Lord'.  I think this is a phrase each and every one of us can use to help us make everyday decisions in our lives.  If you choose to obey the Lord, what will happen in your life?

"The Spirit lifted me up and took me away. I went in bitterness and turmoil, but the Lord's hold on me was strong.  Then I came to the colony of Judean exiles in Tel-abib, beside the Kebar River.  I was overwhelmed and sat among them for seven days." Ezekiel 3:14-15
Do you ever have those days where you are just so overwhelmed that you feel like you could just sit for seven days?  I know I have those days.  In fact, I am having one today, although I am sure it is not anything like the overwhelming feeling had by Ezekiel.  But, we all can learn from this passage that the Spirit can be with us, too, to help us through the turmoils and bitterness that comes our way.

My response to God:  Lord, show me the wonderful things that can happen in my life if I just choose to obey you.  Make it irresistible to me.  Help me to see those things that will draw me to you even in bitterness and turmoil of the day.  Let your Spirit lift me up and keep your hold strong on me to get me through what seems to me to be overwhelming.

No comments: