Friday, October 10, 2008

Listening

Today's Readings: 2 Chronicles 36:1-4; 2 Kings 23:36-37, 24:1-4; Jeremiah 22:1-23, 25:1-14, 26:1-24

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"He (Jehoahaz) did what was evil in the Lord's sight, just as his ancestors had done." 2 Kings 23:32
"Perhaps they will listen and turn from their evil ways.  Then I will change my mind about the disaster I am ready to pour out on them because of their sins."  Jeremiah 26:3
Generation after generation, the people of Jerusalem continued in their disobedience.  Rarely, one generation would get it right, like Josiah, but sadly one generation later it all began again.  The Lord gave Jeremiah messages for the kings of Judah, messages they were not happy at all to receive.  God wanted to give the people one more opportunity to change their ways and sent Jeremiah to the Temple to share his message with the people.  They were so upset with what he said that they tried to kill him.  They did not kill him, but they also did not heed his words.  In the end, this led to the end of the kings of Judah and the beginning of King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon's reign over them.  

My response to God:  Help me, Lord, to listen for your word from your messengers here on earth.  Let me not only hear them, but use what they have to say to make a positive difference in how I am serving you.  

No comments: