Tuesday, October 21, 2008

False prophets

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 22:24-30, 23:1-32, 49:1-33; 2 Kings 24:5-9

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"But I will gather together the remnant of my flock from the countries where I have driven them.  I will bring them back to their own sheepfold, and they will be fruitful and increase in number.  Then I will appoint responsible shepherds who will care for them, and they will never be afraid again.  Not a single on will be lost or missing. I, the Lord, have spoken!" Jeremiah 23:3-4

"Do not listen to these prophets when they prophesy to you, filling you with futile hopes.  They are making up everything they say.  They do not speak of the Lord! They keep saying to those who despise my word, 'Don't worry! The Lord says you will have peace!' And to those who stubbornly follow their own desires, they say, 'No harm will come your way!'"  Jeremiah 23:16-17

"I am against these smooth-tongued prophets who say, 'This prophecy is from the Lord!' I am against these false prophets. Their imaginary dreams are flagrant lies that lead my people into sin.  I did not send or appoint them, and they have no message at all for my people.  I, the Lord have spoken!"  Jeremiah 23:31-32

This could be today, with all the churches that are teaching that the Lord just wants us to be happy.  Yes, he wants us to be a joyful people, but he wants that joy to come from him.  In order to receive that joy and peace, we must walk on the path with the Lord.  

My response to God:  Guide me down the path toward you, Lord.  Help me to recognize the 'smooth-tongued' false prophets of today so that I can steer clear of their path.

No comments: