Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Letting go and letting God

Today's Readings: Isaiah 63:15-64:12, 65:1-66:24; 2 Kings 20:20-21

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"Lord, why have you allowed us to turn from your path? Why have you given us stubborn hearts so we no longer fear you?" Isaiah 63:17a
"Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind." Isaiah 64:6b
"After all this, Lord, must you still refuse to help us? Will you continue to be silent and punish us?" Isaiah 64:12
People today are so like this, looking for someone else to blame for their mistakes.  Just like the people of Israel, we find ourselves blaming God for letting us have the free will to make decisions for our life.  Of course, this usually only happens when we begin to receive the consequences of our actions.

"The Lord says, "I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me.  I said, 'Here I am, here I am!' to a nation that did not call on my name." Isaiah 65:1
God is always here for us, just waiting for us to call upon him.  But, in order for us to call upon him, we must admit to ourselves that he is God and we are not.  We must let go of the need to be in control of our lives and give ourselves totally over to God.  We must search him out and look for him and call upon him to not only be a part of our lives, but be the purpose for our lives.
 
My response to God: O God, forgive me for my pride and desires to hold on to the control of my life, even when there is no chance that I would ever have control.  Help me to see that I am responsible for my actions and deserve the consequences that fall upon me because of those actions.  Thank you for always being here for me when I finally realize that I can only make it when you are in control.  Thank you for your forgiveness when my pride rears is ugly head.

No comments: