Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Going in the right direction

Today's Readings: Jeremiah 19:1-15, 20:1-18; Daniel 1:1-21

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"But if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak in his name, his word burns in my hear like a fire.  It's like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it!" Jeremiah 20:9
"But the Lord stands beside me like a great warrior." Jeremiah 20:11a

Jeremiah seemed so conflicted.  First he complains to the Lord, then he turns around and cries out that he cannot help but speak the word of the Lord out loud.  But, in the end, he stands strong knowing that God will never leave him or forsake him and will always be by his side.

"But Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food and wine given to them by the king.  He asked the chief of staff for permission not to eat these unacceptable foods." Daniel 1:8

Daniel had such strength and that strength came from God.  Even as he was practically enslaved by King Nebuchadnezzar, he was determined not to be defiled.  What is interesting is his way of going about that.  He did not just stand up and protest, but he went through the 'appropriate channels' and made an official request and get proper permission.  It kind of reminds me of the old adage that says 'you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar'.  I think we can learn from this that common courtesy can go a long way.  But, more so, we can learn from Daniel that we, too, should be working to keep ourselves righteous in this very unrighteous world.

My response to God: Lord, thank you for giving me the peace of knowing you will always be by my side, just like you were with Jeremiah.  Make your word like a fire in my bones that I just cannot hold inside, but must shout it out to the world. Help me to recognize the areas in my life that lead me away from righteousness so that I can stay turned toward you.

No comments: