Monday, January 12, 2009

Trust or consequences

Today's Readings: 1 Chronicles 5:18-26, 6:3b, 6:4-15, 6:49, 7:1-40, 8:1-28

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"They cried out to God during the battle, and he answered their prayer because they trusted in him."  1 Chronicles 5:20

"But these tribes were unfaithful to the God of their ancestors."  1 Chronicles 5:25a

Today's scriptures are from the time that the tribes east of the Jordan waged war and acquired land and property.  The part that stood out to me was where they showed their faith in God by asking for his help to win their battle -- and God answered that prayer because they did believe.  It was sad, however, that only a short time later these very people turned their backs on God and began to not pray to him but began to worship the gods of the nations that God had helped them to destroy.  Just like children who are disobedient, the tribes had to suffer the consequences of their actions when God caused the Assyrians to invade the land and exile the Israelites. Oh, how God must have disappointed and frustrated in his children who, yet again, disobeyed him.

My response to God: Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you for answering my prayers.  I admit they are not always answered the way I am expecting, or hoping for, but they are answered.  Help me, Lord, to always worship you and not be distracted and pulled away by the gods of this world.  Forgive me for the times I have let that happen in the past.

No comments: