Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dreams fulfilled

Today's Readings: 1 Chronicles 8:29-9:1a; Daniel 4:1-37; Ezekiel 40:1-37

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven.  My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever." Daniel 4:34

King Nebuchadnezzar had ruled and lived in comfort in his palace until he had THE dream.  He finally found someone, Daniel, to interpret his dream for him.  Unfortunately, Daniel did not have good news for the King.  The fulfillment of the dream was when he was driven mad, away from all people and his kingdom, and lived in insanity for seven periods of time.  After this time had passed was when the Lord allowed his sanity to return and that he be brought back as King.  It took this very traumatic experience for him to listen to God and change his wicked ways.  How many of the traumatic experiences in our lives are brought about to get our attention?  Are we going to be like the King and change our ways by honoring 'the one who lives forever'?

My response to God: O God, help me to learn from my mistakes without being 'driven from human society' like it took to get King Nebuchadnezzar's attention.  Let me hear your word and heed it the first time, not the second, or third, or fourth, or hundredth.  Forgive me for all the times I have not done that.

No comments: