Thursday, January 15, 2009

Transmitting holiness

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 44:1-31, 45:1-25, 46:1-18, 46:19-24

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Instead of safeguarding my sacred rituals, you have hired foreigners to take charge of my sanctuary." Ezekiel 44:8

"They must leave them in the sacred rooms and put on other clothes so they do not endanger anyone by transmitting holiness to them through this clothing." Ezekiel 44:19b

"Stop your violence and oppression and do what is just and right." Ezekiel 45:9b

"They will do it here to avoid carrying the sacrifices through the outer courtyard and endangering the people by transmitting holiness to them."  Ezekiel 46:20b

This portion of Ezekiel gives the prince, Levites, and priests their instructions for dividing the land among the tribes of Israel, for holding the celebrations and accepting special offerings, and specifics for the Temple kitchen use.  What this word tells me is that the people were not doing things the way they were supposed to and God wanted to make it clear exactly what behaviors needed to be improved.   The instructions regarding the clothing requirements really stood out to me.  The spirit of the Lord was physically real to the point that the priest's had to take extreme care not to 'transmit holiness' to others for it could endanger them.  Can you just imagine being in the midst of that holiness?  

My response to God: Lord, help me to keep my heart and soul open to recognizing the presence of your holiness.  Guide me in my daily life so that I do not let the busyness of the day distract me from the instructions you have for me.  Bring me peace and give me a place to rest and be with you.

No comments: