Thursday, January 8, 2009

Being a Watchman

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 32:17-32, 33:1-20; Jeremiah 52:28-30; Psalm 137; 1 Chronicles 4:24-43, 5:1-17

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"But if the watchman sees the enemy coming and doesn't sound the alarm to warn the people, he is responsible for their captivity."  Ezekiel 33:6

"Now, son of man, I am making you a watchman for the people of Israel.  Therefore, listen to what I say and warn them for me.  If I announce that some wicked people are sure to die and you fail to tell them to change their ways, then they will die in their sins, and I will hold you responsible for their deaths."  Ezekiel 33:7-8

"I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people.  I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live.  Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel!"  Ezekiel 33:11

"The righteous behavior of righteous people will not save them if they turn to sin, nor will the wicked behavior of wicked people destroy them if they repent and turn from their sins."  Ezekiel 33:12

Ezekiel was given such a huge responsibility by the Lord when he was given that task as 'the watchman'.  Not only was his responsibility to warn the people, but he was also held accountable if they died in their sins.  Earlier this week I heard an interview of an avowed atheist that hit home on this point.  He shared how a Christian had kindly and gently given him a Gideon New Testament.  He said this man's actions had really impressed him and then the atheist shared something that was crucial: If you truly believe that only those with faith will have eternal life, then how can you not share that faith with anyone that you care anything about?  Otherwise, you must just not want them to have this great thing you have (paraphrased of his comments).  Wow.  Such wisdom coming out of the mouth of someone who does not even believe.  How many times have I not even mentioned the Lord while in a conversation with someone who may not know him?

My response to God: Heavenly Father, give me the words to speak to those who do not know you.  Help me to bring them to your saving grace and love.  Forgive me for all of the times I have not taken the time or effort to share you with others.  Thank you for the grace through Jesus Christ that gives us all the way to life eternal.

No comments: