Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dry bones

Today's Readings: Ezekiel  32:1-16, 37:1-28, 38:1-23, 39:1-29

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"I will put my Spirit in you, and you will live again and return home to your own land." Ezekiel 37:14

"I will have mercy on all Israel, for I jealously guard my holy reputation! They will accept responsibility for their past shame and unfaithfulness after they come home to live in peace in their own land, with no one to bother them.  When I bring them home from the lands of their enemies, I will display my holiness among them for all the nations to see."  Ezekiel 39:25b-27

This portion of Ezekiel is responding to the message from the Lord on the valley of dry bones coming back to life.  We are like those old, dry bones when we give up hope.  But God is the one who can cause us, just like those old dry bones, to rise up again as he draws us closer to him.    The Lord continued to demonstrate his glory and holiness for all the nations to see as he brought down those who attack his people.  Then he brought restoration through his mercy -- it was only after that they took responsibility for their unfaithfulness.  Oh what a gracious God we serve.

My response to God:  O Lord, I come to you yet again asking you to accept my gratitude for your mercy and grace.  Thank you for being here for me on those days where I feel like giving up only to find that, like those dry bones, you bring me back to life with you.  Draw me closer and closer to you so I will not fall into that valley again.  

No comments: