Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Showers of blessing

Today's Readings:  Ezekiel 34:1-31, 35:1-15, 36:1-38

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"You have not taken care of the weak. You have not tended the sick or bound up the injured.  You have not gone looking for those who have wandered away and are lost.  Instead, you have ruled them with harshness and cruelty."  Ezekiel 34:4

"Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord.  This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I now consider these shepherds my enemies, and I will hold them responsible for what has happened to my flock." Ezekiel 34:9-10a

"I will make a covenant of peace with my people and drive away the dangerous animals from the land...And in the proper season I will send the showers they need. There will be showers of blessing." Ezekiel 34:25-26

"You are my flock, the sheep of my pasture.  You are my people, and I am your God." Ezekiel 34:31

"Therefore, give the people of Israel this message from the Sovereign Lord: I am bringing you back, but not because you deserve it.  I am doing it to protect my holy name, on which you brought shame while you were scattered among the nations." Ezekiel 36:22

"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean.  Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols.  And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you.  I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.  And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations." Ezekiel 36:25-27

Even though we fail God in so many ways, and are held responsible for our actions, he still does not just discard us from his presence.  He still promises to be our shepherd, provide for our needs, and give us a new life even though we are so undeserving.  How blessed we are to have the opportunity to accept a new heart and new spirit -- let us not to miss out on that opportunity.

My response to God: Thank you, Lord, for your grace and mercy and your covenant of peace that provides our showers of blessings from you.  Wash the filth away from me and make me clean so that my heart will be responsive to you, Lord.

No comments: