Saturday, January 9, 2010

Reading between the lines

Today's Readings: Genesis 25:27-28:5

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and lentil stew. Esau ate the meal, then got up and left. He showed contempt for his rights as the firstborn." Genesis 25:34

"When the men who lived there asked Isaac about his wife, Rebekah, he said, 'She is my sister.' He was afraid to say, 'She is my wife.'" Genesis 26:7

"From there Isaac moved to Beersheba, where the Lord appeared to him on the night of his arrival. 'I am the God of your father, Abraham,' he said. 'Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you.'" Genesis 26:23

"We can plainly see that the Lord is with you." Genesis 26:28a

"At the age of forty, Esau married two Hittite wives; Judith, the daughter of Beeri, and Basemath, the daughter of Elon. But Esau's wives made life miserable for Isaac and Rebekah." Genesis 26:34


After recording these verses that I had underlined while reading, I was comforted to see similarities in their life struggles, the ups and downs of life, and those we endure today.

  • They showed contempt towards by not being open to receive a blessed from God
  • They lied and did not trust the Lord to protect them
  • God told them to not be afraid - he was with them and would bless them
  • Others could tell that the Lord's presence was with them
  • They still had misery in their lives
I love when God shows me a new nugget from his Word.  Whenever I have read this passage before, I just read the story.  It is almost as if I have been able to read between the lines this time.  I love how he sneaks in those secret lines.

No comments: