Saturday, January 2, 2010

He deserves the very best

Today's Readings: Genesis 4-6, 1 Chronicles 1:1-4

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"When they grew up, Abel became a shepherd, while Cain cultivated the ground. When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the Lord. Abel also brought a gift -- the best of the firstborn lambs from his flock. The Lord accepted Abel and his gift, but he did not accept Cain and his gift. This made Cain very angry, and he looked dejected." Genesis 4:2b-5

"The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart...But Noah found favor with the Lord. This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God." Genesis 6:5-9

"Look! I am about to cover the earth with a flood that will destroy every living thing that breathes. Everything on earth will die. But I will confirm my covenant with you." Genesis 6:17-18a

"So Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded him." Genesis 6:22


The first verse above really reminded me that we are to give our best to God, not just some of our stuff. God was pleased with the best that Abel brought, not with the gift given just for the sake of giving.

When I read through this beginning of Noah's story, it really hit me how alone Noah must have felt. He was the only righteous person on the entire earth. But then I was quickly reminded by the following verses that he walked in close fellowship with God. Wow. Having one friend in God is better than a million earthly friends. He was a blessed man. And Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded -- true obedience that comes with that close fellowship.

My response to God: Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and friendship. Help me to never stray and to walk like Noah walked -- in close fellowship with you. Also, Lord, please forgive me for the times that I did not give you my best -- and give me the strength to always remember that you deserve the very best.

No comments: