Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fear God

Today's Readings: Genesis 11:32, 21:8, 22-24

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"'Don't lay a hand on the boy!' the angel said. 'Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.'" Genesis 22:12

"And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed -- all because you have obeyed me." Genesis 22:18

"Abraham again bowed low before the citizens of the land, and he replied to Ephron as everyone listened. 'No, listen to me. I will buy it from you. Let me pay the full price for the field so I can bury my dead there.' Ephron answered Abraham, 'My lord, please listen to me. The land is worth 400 pieces of silver, but what is that between friends? Go ahead and bury your dead.' So Abraham agreed to Ephron's price and paid the amount he had suggested -- 400 pieces of silver, weighed according to the market standard. The Hittite elders witnessed the transaction." Genesis 23:12-16



As I read that first verse above (vs.12), I could not help but be reminded how much Abraham was like the Lord himself by being willing to sacrifice his only son.  But, at the last moment, God allowed this only son to live, knowing that the father was truly obedient.  I can only ask myself if I, like Abraham, would "fear God."

After I read the last reference in Genesis 23, I was a little confused.  Why would Abraham not accept the gift from Ephron? Why would he not allow Ephron to be blessed by giving him the cave?  Doesn't the bible teach us to give to others (so, it would be right for Ephron to give)? Then, it popped in my head that Abraham was not needy -- he had wealth and was able to buy his own cave.  We should concentrate on helping the needy, not those that can help themselves.

No comments: