Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Kick in the Pants

Today's Readings: Genesis 15-17

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Some time later, the Lord spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him, 'Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great.'" Genesis 15:1

"And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith." Genesis 15:6

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, "I am El-Shaddai -- 'God Almighty.' Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life. I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants." Genesis 17: 1-2


First reading earlier in the week about Noah being a "righteous man...he walked in close fellowship with God" and now reading about Abram who was counted by the Lord as "righteous because of his faith" has given me more of that desire to be called the same. I want the Lord to consider me righteous, but I am reminded by these men who lived so long ago that you are not just born righteous, you have to do something -- believe and live faithfully. If we just do that, then we are also promised great rewards. This is the kick in the pants I needed this week. Thank you, Lord, for the reminder.

No comments: