Friday, January 1, 2010

Eat the fruit -- no, don't eat the fruit

Today's Readings: Genesis 1-3

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Then God said, 'Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food. And I have given every green plant as food for all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, and the small animals that scurry along the ground -- everything that has life.' And that is what happened." Genesis 1:29-30

"'Who told you that you were naked?' the Lord God asked. 'Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?' The man replied, 'It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it.' Then the Lord God asked the woman, 'What have you done?' 'The serpent deceived me,' she replied. 'That's why I ate it.'" Genesis 3:11-13

"And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation." Genesis 2:3

"And the Lord God made clothing from animal skins for Adam and his wife." Genesis 3:21


I love the dichotomy of these first two sets of scriptures. First I noticed how God gave the seed-bearing plants and the fruits trees to Adam for his food, while giving the green plants for the animals (no mention of eating the animals?). But, then God limited the fruit trees that Adam could eat from. I have always thought that this was just a test of his obedience, but now I see more. It was also to protect Adam from knowing too much -- knowing both good and evil. He wanted them to live that perfect life without evil. But, they chose not to be obedient and lost that wonderful opportunity. However, even though they disobeyed him, and were ejected from Eden, God still cared and provided for them -- it was God who made their clothing for them! I believe it is the same for us today. God wants us to obey him. He tells us (through his word and through his prophets of today) how he wants us to live our lives in a pure, unadulterated manner. We have become so much like Adam and Eve: (1) we are disobedient, and (2) we blame others for our actions (Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent).

My response to God: Dear Lord, even though I am so much like Adam and Eve, I ask you to help me learn from my mistakes. Lead me to closer obedience to you. I also thank you for protecting me and watching over me just like you did your very first earthly children.

No comments: