Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful to serve

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 24:15-27, 25:1-17, 29:1-16, 30:20-26, 31:1-18; Jeremiah 21:1-14, 34:1-22

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Give justice each morning to the people you judge! Help those who have been robbed; rescue them from their oppressors.  Otherwise, my anger will burn like an unquenchable fire because of all your sins." Jeremiah 21:12

Again, most of the readings for today were not the kind that give that warm and fuzzy feeling --  the death of Ezekiel's wife, the messages to the people of Ammon, Moab, Edom, and Philistia, and the warning for Zedekiah to name just a few.  However, when the Lord is giving Jeremiah the message for the Kings of Judah, it just hit home for me today.  This verse did not speak to me because of the threat of anger from my Lord, but because of what he was so boldly encouraging -- service to others.  In this week, where I am given the opportunity to 'officially' be thankful to God for his many blessings, I take this verse as a message to me to show my thankfulness by being a blessing to others.

My response to God: Oh most gracious and giving God, thank you for all the ways you have blessed my life -- even those ways that I questioned or doubted.  Help me to be just and helpful to those being oppressed.  

No comments: