Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The same today as yesterday

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 10:1-22, 11:1-25, 12:1-28, 13:1-23

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:
"Son of man, you live among rebels who have eyes but refuse to see. They have ears but refuse to hear.  For they are a rebellious people."  Ezekiel 12:1
It is the same today as it was thousands of years ago.  If there were prophets on the earth today, what would God be telling them to tell us now? 

"Then they will know that I am the Lord."  Ezekiel 12:16b
"Then you will know that I am the Lord." Ezekiel 12:20b
"Then you will know that I am the Lord." Ezekiel 13:21b
"Then you will know that I am the Lord." Ezekiel 13:23b
I could not help but notice the repetition within these verses that were so close in proximity.  God was telling Ezekiel of the things that he would do to get the attention of the people -- the rebellious ones that were refusing to see and hear his word.  Yes, one day everyone will know that He is Lord.

"Then this message came to me from the Lord; 'Son of man, the people of Israel are saying, 'He's talking about the distant future.  His visions won't come true for a long, long time.' Therefore, tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: No more delay! I will now do everything I have threatened. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!'" Ezekiel 12:26-28
It seems to me that so much of today's reading reminds me how much the people of today are like those of Ezekiel's time.  We also get so involved in our lives and activities of this world, thinking that the time of the Lord's return will not be in our lifetime -- we do not even act as if it is a blip on the radar.  We  need to live our lives today as if we truly believed what we say we believe -- that Jesus came to this earth and died to save us and would one day return to rule.

My response to God: Oh God, forgive me for ignoring you.  Continue to draw me to your Word so that I can be reminded of my purpose here on this earth.  Strengthen me so that I will live my life as a witness to you in a way to bring others closer to you.  Give me the words to speak to grow believers in you.

No comments: