Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Obedience for life

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 20:1-49, 21:1-32, 22:1-16

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"But the people of Israel rebelled against me, and they refused to obey my decrees there in the wilderness.  They wouldn't obey my regulations, even though obedience would have given them life." Ezekiel 20:13a

"But their children, too, rebelled against me.  They refused to keep my decrees and follow my regulations, even though obedience would have given them life." Ezekiel 20:21a

These chapter continue with the Lord's judgment on his rebellious people.  These verses, in particular, show how the decisions made by the people of Israel not only affected themselves, personally, but affected the generations of people that came after them. Even after the Lord graciously allowed them to survive through the wilderness and be brought to the promised land, those blessed ones were still disobedient.  Even though (as discussed in the previous day's reading from Ezekiel 18) a child does not "pay for the parent's sins", they do have to make the decision to "do what is just and right and keep my decrees" (Ezekiel 18:19).  But, that did not happen.

My response to God: Lord, help me to obey your decrees.  Guide me to full obedience to you, O God, so that I can be the right kind of teacher of your ways to my own children. 

No comments: