Thursday, November 13, 2008

Faithfulness and forgiveness

Today's Readings: Ezekiel 14:1-23, 15:1-8, 16:1-63

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Now this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will give you what you deserve, for you have taken your solemn vows lightly by breaking your covenant.  Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you when you were young, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you.  Then  you will remember with shame all the evil you have done...You will remember your sins and cover your mouth in silent shame when I forgive you of all that you have done.  I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!"  Ezekiel 16:59-63

All of this days reading was so solemn for me, until the end (the verses quoted above).  First, we learned of the idolatry of Israel's leaders, the the comparison of Jerusalem to a useless vine and then as an unfaithful wife and prostitute.  Why is it that I am continuously surprised by the amazing grace of our Lord?  Should I not expect it by now?  The final verses of today's reading again showed that grace.  Even though God's people deserved judgment, and they will receive that judgment, God still holds faithful with his covenant and forgives! Hallelujah.

My response to God: Dear God, thank you for your faithfulness and forgiveness.  Help me to hold on to those gifts and be forever grateful.  Make my heart and soul and mind to never take them for granted.  Engrave your words upon my heart.

No comments: