Thursday, August 28, 2008

Teach and Reach

Today's Readings: Psalm 92-97

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Joyful are those you discipline, Lord, those you teach with your instructions." Psalm 94:12
Something about the wording in this particular verse -- they way he uses the word discipline -- was just so comforting. That word had gotten such a bad rap that it is nice to see it in this context where it is clear that it means teaching not beating. The discipline from the Lord brings us joy and we should look forward, even search out the teaching. Oh, and I love the use of the word instructions. What else could it be, but....the Word.

"Come, let us worship and bow down. Let us kneel before the Lord our maker, for he is our God. We are the people he watches over, the flock under his care." Psalm 95:6-7
I love music and I just get so excited that music can help me to learn scripture. This is yet another set of verses, set to music, that we use to worship our Lord during church services. I wonder how many people realize that they are learning scripture when they are learning new songs!

"Tell all the nations, 'The Lord reigns!'" Psalm 96:10a
This spoke to me as yet another reminder to spread the word of the Lord...from Redland to the ends of the earth.

"He will judge the world with justice, and the nations with his truth." Psalm 96:13b
This was just a reminder to me that our God is just and fair and that he is the only Truth.

My response to God: Lord, please continue to work on me, teach me and bring me the joy that comes with the knowledge that comes from your instruction. Guide me to use that knowledge to reach out to others.

No comments: