Friday, August 29, 2008

Joy in all things

Today's Readings: Psalms 98-100, 102, 104

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"Make a joyful symphony before the Lord, the King!" Psalm 98:6b
When I read this, it reiterated how we are supposed to work joyfully together. We are to worship and praise together. We are to be a people of God.

"O Lord our God, you answered them (Israel). You were a forgiving God to them, but you punished them when they went wrong." Psalm 99:8
This verse was difficult for me. I like the part that says that our God is a forgiving God and that he answers us. What is hard is the punishment part. I think it is easy for us to get in that place where we just see God as the one we worship, the one who loves us, the faithful one. We tend not to discuss the part where he disciplines us when we go astray, much less that he would (gasp) punish us. But, that is exactly what he did so many times in Israel and Judah's case. Just as we are responsible for the discipline of our children, our Father in heaven is responsible for the discipline of his children -- us.

"Your fame will endure to every generation." Psalm 102:12b
This reminded me of all the centuries that God has remained in the forefront of the life of men and women. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

"He will listen to the prayers of the destitute. He will not reject their pleas." Psalm 102:17
He is faithful!

"Let this be recorded for future generations, so that a people not yet born will praise the Lord." Psalm 102:18
That term people not yet born was the one that stuck out to me. I was that person not yet born that the Word was recorded for so that I, too, could be a recipient of the grace of our Lord.

"Let all that I am praise the Lord." Psalm 104:1a
ALL! That means that every part of my being can be praising the Lord. All.

"The Lord takes pleasure in all he has made!" Psalm 104:31b
It is so thrilling and refreshing to know that I can bring pleasure to the Lord.

My response to God: Lord, make me an instrument of joy. Help me to share your love and discipline with others so that we can be that joyful symphony of praise to you.

No comments: