Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bitterness abandoned

Today's Readings: Lamentations 2:1-11, 3:1-66, 4:1-22

Highlighted Verses and my thoughts:

"The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss.  Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this:  The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." Lamentations 3:19-23

"And it is good for people to submit at an early age to the yoke of his discipline." Lamentations 3:27

"For no one is abandoned by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion because of the greatness of his unfailing love. For he does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow." Lamentations 3:31-33

This time was such a bitter pill for Jeremiah to swallow.  He had spent his life trying to get the people to listen to the messages given to him by the Lord, only to watch them stay in rebellion and be destroyed.  Yes, he survived, but it left him to mourn his loss.  But in these verses we see that he has still not given up.  He still dares to have hope and remembers that God's love endures forever.  

My response to God: Oh most gracious God in heaven, thank you for your faithfulness that endures forever.  Help me, Lord, to submit to the yoke of your discipline now to save me from the grief that comes from disobedience.  Thank you for your compassion and unfailing love. 

No comments: